What comes to your mind when you hear the word ‘Portfolio’? Do thousands of questions creep into your mind asking how do I create the one? What are the things I should Avoid in my portfolio? What are the key elements of a freelance portfolio? Etc. Well, this blog is an answer to all your apprehensions concerning the freelancing portfolio. For any freelancer who is in search of a project or new to a freelancing community it is essential to have a professional portfolio that gives one a glimpse of his/her professional expertise. A freelance portfolio can help you to establish yourself and provide clients as well as prospects a better understanding of your skills, expertise, strength, and work quality. A freelance portfolio can set the right impression. If you are new to the freelancing world you may find the building and collating elements for your portfolio a herculean task but the benefits of a freelance portfolio are umpteen and worthwhile.
Here are some points that can aid to create an impressive freelance portfolio and get you hired:
● Make a list of your expertise: Before commencing important components and collecting samples for your portfolio it is essential to make a list of your area of expertise. For instance, if you are a content writer your skills might be in writing interactive blogs, product descriptions, website content, proofreading, reviews, etc. If you are a blogger you may list out your specialization in a programming language. Based on your skillset and expertise you can start curating some of your best work that provides your clients and prospects evidence of your professional experience and quality of work.
● Highlight your strengths: Try asking questions such as how am I different from other freelancers? What value can I add to the project? Highlighting your passion, zeal, enthusiasm, and qualities can help you to generate interest in your portfolio and impress your client.
● Figure out where you will publish your portfolio? After you have collated various elements and examples for your portfolio the next big question that you must ask yourself is how will I make my portfolio live? One must use a mix of media and online platforms to amplify the reach of your portfolio and tap global clients. Consider creating a portfolio on some of the leading freelancing platforms such as Fiverr, Upwork, Toptal, Brafu, Simply Hired, and much more. Some sites such as Squarespace, Blogger, Wix, Weebly, Muck Rack, and Portfoliobox allow one to create and showcase a freelance portfolio.
● Research! Research: A thorough research and study of various freelancing sites, platforms, and freelancer sites can be very lucrative. It can provide you a tentative idea about how to go about presenting your portfolio and which are the elements that you must include. Study the work samples and freelance portfolio on several freelance marketplaces and then derive a strategy to present your best of work.
● Gather Samples Of your Work: The most important part of your freelancing portfolio is the work that you would like to showcase to your potential clients. Remember this work will be reviewed and considered by your prospective client and hence, you should make sure that the samples are up to the mark and impressive. Try imagining if you are a client what will you like to see in a portfolio? How will you evaluate a portfolio? Based on the answers to these questions design a portfolio that is relevant to your industry and gives one a clear understanding of your skillsets.
● Be distinctive: A simple cliché portfolio with common text, common services, and repetitive points will decrease your chances of getting hired. Today, companies are looking out for passionate freelancers who are creative, innovative, and proficient in the field. To generate interest in your portfolio, make sure you optimally sell your services, gives one an idea of why you are the best fit for the project in a compelling way. Show your potential clients your confidence and creative approach by sharing your story, ideas, and work philosophy.
● Share case studies and success stories: Testimonials, case studies, reviews, and feedback from your clients can strengthen your freelance portfolio. If you are new to the freelancing world you can also share your professional experiences and past work achievements in your portfolio. For an experienced freelancer, it is relatively easy to get testimonials and reviews from past clients. You can also make your portfolio interesting by sharing success stories and case studies in crisp and concise ways. If you are one prominent freelancing marketplace such as Upwork, Fiverr, Toptal, Brafu, etc you can ask your clients to reviews after you complete the project this will help to build your credibility as a freelancer and make your freelancing portfolio stronger.
● Give a hint about your aspirations: If your portfolio is minimal with limited work to display you can add more value to your portfolio by sharing your aspirations and vision. You can explain what kind of projects you would like to do, what interests you, what are your goals, what’s your passion, elucidate your ambition. The way you portray yourself in the portfolio makes a vital difference. It sets your impression and entices your potential clients to hire you.
● Include Free Resource: win the interest of your clients by giving them some free resources. A freelance portfolio with some crucial information that can help one to escalate the business is something unique and impressive. Hit the right chord of your client by sharing with them some important bits of information. For instance, if you are a developer you share tips on how to use online media to give your brand the desired exposure, if you are an SEO expert you highlight the latest SEO trends and how to utilize them. The free resource gives the client an idea about how can make a difference to their business, it gives one a glimpse of your work style and builds your reputation.
● Filter your portfolio regularly: As a freelancer, you must always invest your time and effort in updating your work and upgrading your portfolio. Filter your portfolio by incorporating the latest work and replacing older projects. Make sure to include projects that reflect your skills, abilities, and strengths.
A freelancing portfolio can help you to escalate your freelancing venture and get the desired exposure. The best way to build an attractive portfolio is to constantly invest your efforts and time in refining your skills. Post your freelance portfolio on leading freelancing platforms such as Brafu, Upwork, Toptal and get the required competitive edge.